As we make our way into 2018, I am going over the things that I would like to improve upon in my life. What it means for me to be/stay healthy. Yes, they can be called resolutions, but these are things that I work no matter what time of year it is.
I call these changes "improvements" because I think that anything you are doing to make your life better is always an improvement no matter how big or small. I will admit that the Fall of 2017 was a weird time for me. I wasn't eating as well as I could have and not working out as much. I kept getting sick in September and that makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. But, then I realize that I am human and we all have ups and downs and we all, yes everyone, gets sick. My gut microbiome was definitely off and stress did not help the matter. Then the holidays rolled around and even though they were not stressful for me this year, it's a time where I relax more and I don't push myself.
So January 2018 comes and I see people starting Whole30 (which is amazing) and getting back to the gym. Applauding all of you btw! For me though, I like to take my time getting back on track. I see January as a month to regroup and recharge and figure out what's the best strategy is for me to make these "improvements" and I slowly incorporate them back into my life if they are not there already. Remember, anything that works for you may not work for someone else. We are all unique and very much individuals, so focus on how things make you feel. Never worry about what others think because at the end of the day it's your mind/body that you are trying to make happy. These are things I have every client work on to help them find healing.
Top 5 ways to make improvements in your life in 2018:
- Keep a food diary. This will help you figure out where certain foods interact well or poorly with your gut microbiome. Look at your plate and see if you have a protein, a fat and a fiber. Things like dairy can be good for you and digest well in your gut but not the next person. It's seriously that simple. I eat paleo because I have gluten and dairy intolerance and I also have an autoimmune disease. Keeping track of what you eat, how you feel afterward and if/if you're not going poop is very important to your mind/body state of health.
- Cut back on drinking. Alcohol has its time and place. I still very much enjoy a glass of wine or two depending on the situation. It is very inflammatory to the body and can wreck havoc on your next day of being productive. Be aware of how much you consume and do what's best for your health. Try not to worry about what others think. Peer pressure is still very much a real thing. These days there are sober bars in NYC and LA!
- Support system. Do you have friends/family that support you no matter what?! Do they consider your feelings when you're trying to make these improvements in your life? You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. One of them can even be yourself. Do you support you?! That's always a big one.
- Gratitude for self. Where is the self-love people?!?! Why have we lost this self-respect that is so essential in our daily lives. Why are we not waking up everyday and being content with who we are?! Is social media effecting how you feel about yourself? Try adding in a list of things you're grateful for every morning/evening. See what you come up with and share it with me.
- Manifest. What does your heart desire? Are you living your best life? Envision these things and desires! Imagine it all coming to you and thank the universe for listening to your heart. Have faith in the power of the magic you have within yourself <3
Think about these and let me know what resonated with you the most! Do you have anything that works better for you to make these kinds of improvements? Send me a message with what you are grateful for! I would love to read them =)